Once upon a time, in the not so distant past, elocution was part of every young woman’s education. Thinking elocution to be some kind of chemical science I looked it up in the dictionary; it’s just a fancy word meaning feminine deportment.
While I’m glad we no longer walk around with books on our heads I don’t want to end up a female version of Huckleberry Finn either. Let’s face it, not all of us come from a “Little Women” background, femininity ingrained in every bone.
How do we enhance our Femininity?
1. Dress Feminine.
- Belted waists
- Cute sunglasses
- Feminine hats
- Flowy fabrics (silk blouses)
- Florals (in moderation)
- Colorful shoes & handbags
- Pretty underwear
- No pajamas in public- such an internal let-down. Woman are so beautiful, why shabby it up? Women have inherent value, confidence should come from that.
2. Embody Class
- Walk with class- even in jeans, walk with your head high
- Pivot when you turn vs. clumping. Practice this.
- When seated, keep your knees/ankles together
- Avoiding rough behavior, macho attitudes or intense confrontational attitudes.
- Soft touch, soft speech, soft gestures or movements. Gentle. Tender. The feeling of treading lightly. We are instinctually Lighter.
- SMILE – oh the power of a smile. Huge non-verbal communication.
3. Wear Perfume or Essential Oils
- Find a scent that you can enjoy – are you sultry? spicy? light? floral?
4. Do Your Hair and Makeup
- Never tried? Start with the basics. But Start!
- Do your nails, at home or monthly mani/pedi
5. Surround Yourself with Beauty
- We respond to beauty, so enjoy or develop your favorites.
- Listen to Beautiful Music (bring on the Chopin) sing or play along
- Poetry, Prose, Literature
- Arts, Creative Outlets
- Interior Design/decorating
- Things that Inspire You.
6. Learn to Cook
- Culinary creativity is really cool.
- Develop beautiful food presentation (subscribe to Bon’a Petite mag etc.)
- A feminine woman exhibits care, effortlessly aware of the needs around you.
7. Learn to Listen
- Draw people out
- Have conversation questions at the ready.
- Develop Non-verbal empathy and compassion. Feminine Presence.
8. Man Men Up
- Look for ways to communicate respect and affirmation towards the men around you.
- Encourage and complement Manhood/chivalry
9. Let Them Drive
- This is a funny one. But I think there is something genuinely helpful in letting guys drive (pretty much all the time) From steering to choosing a parking spot- let them drive.
- Accept help. Tough girls need to go on vacation.
10. Nurture Your Maternal Nature
- Hate kids? So did my mom. She started working at a day care and prayed for lots of grace. It must have worked, me and 7 seven siblings are happy as clams.
- Start by serving a family with little ones
- Spend intentional time with nieces/nephews or little people in your circle
- Read up on Baby Development in the womb.
- Hold babies.
- Serve in your church nursery (if applicable)
- If you’re really unsure- start with a pet.
How to be Feminine, Enhance Your Femininity, “How to be Feminine”